I think it’s about time I wrote one of these lists after seeing them all over Medium for a while now.
At first, I thought writing 40 things that I love would be easy. But, as the process went on, I began to struggle to come up with things that I love.
I had to think long and hard about what I truly love to do. It was a difficult task, but I got there in the end.
As Niklas Göke states in his own list, it’s important to remind ourselves of what we have that no one can take away from us. We are all unique in our own special ways, and these lists are a way of celebrating those differences.
40 things may not sound like a lot, but once you get deeper and deeper into the list, you’ll realise how little we actually consider what it is that we love.
- I love football, I’m not talking about the American version, but that’s ok too! My favourite team is Liverpool F. C. , and there is nothing I love more than watching them play live!
- As well as football, I love most sports. Rugby, cricket, cycling, tennis, Formula 1, golf, you name it, I like it. Watching sport is one of my favourite past-times.
- As much as I love watching sport, I love playing it even more! I’m a competitor at heart, so the opportunity to play sports, whether it’s football, pool or darts, is one I don’t pass up!
- I love reading books. Whether, it’s fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi or a philosophy, I love to sit down and read a good book.
- As the owner of a travel blog, I love travelling. Taking my first solo trip to Australia at the age of 22, completely changed my life. I would likely not be where I am today, and even writing on Medium without going on that trip!
- I love Italian food. Pasta, pizza or risotto, I can’t get enough of it!
- Writing! It goes without saying that I love writing, otherwise I wouldn’t write as much as I do! Writing is like a release for me, I need to do it, to let off steam and compartmentalise what is in my head.
- Training. I love going to the gym and pushing my body. I’m an active person, so I have to move my body, otherwise I would go crazy!
- Tame Impala. They are may favourite band, and Kevin Parker is a genius! I don’t think I will ever get tired of listening to their music. Just listen to the song below. How can you not love this music!?
10. Cooking. I thoroughly enjoying whipping up various meals. I think it’s the creative side in me, but I love cooking my own food and experimenting with different recipes.
11. Reading. I love reading, I have done since I was small. There is no so much you can learn from the numerous fascinating
12. Languages. Living in Spain a few years ago made me realise how much I enjoy learning languages. It’s a challenge and a great workout for my brain while allowing me to see the world from a different perspective.
13. Playing games. Whether it’s Chess, Monopoly Deal or pool, I can’t get enough of games. It’s the competitive animal inside of me.
14. This leads me on to the next point. I love to compete, but I love winning even more. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve always had a burning desire to win at anything I do.
15. I love doing impressions of people. I can do a decent Christopher Walken one, and my Robert DeNiro isn’t too shabby either! My best is probably Stone Cold Steve Austin though!
16. I love New Zealand. It is the most beautiful place I’ve been to, and it was a pleasure to live there for a year to experience its natural beauty!
17. I’m a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. The books and the films are incredible and visiting Hobbiton on my birthday was a dream come true. It was definitely the best birthday ever!
18. I love walking, maybe too much. If I can, I’ll always walk somewhere. I took this to the extreme when I was in Palermo and spent 4 hours in total walking to and from a beach. It was worth it though, I got to see places I otherwise wouldn’t have seen!
19. Manual labour is something I really enjoy. This is due to growing up with a builder for a Dad and working with him on and off. There is something about building things with your bare hands and seeing the fruits of your labour. It’s immensely satisfying.
20. Beaches. I really enjoy going to a beach and relaxing. I was lucky enough to go to some amazing beaches in Australia, and I have retained a love of going to them ever since. There is something relaxing about hearing the waves crash against the shore.
21. I love the smell after it rains on a hot summer’s day.
22. I love watching a good film. There is a visceral joy in enjoying a well-crafted movie that moves you and gets you thinking.
23. I love shorts. When I lived in New Zealand, my friends used to call me Mr 365 days a year shorts guy! Not the most inventive name ever, but I do enjoy wearing shorts. They’re just more comfortable than wearing trousers!
24. I love colourful and jazzy socks. Socks are not my favourite clothing item, so I wear funky socks to make myself feel better about wearing them!
25. I love road trips. There is something about driving long distances that I just love. Travelling these distances is a challenge sometimes, but there is ample reward in the sights you can be treated to along the way.
26. I love Nintendo. I grew up playing a Nintendo64, and while I hardly play video games any more, I still retain a deep love for Nintendo and their amazing range of characters!
27. I love green spaces. Living in Barcelona, which is a concrete metropolis, made me realise just how much I love nature and open spaces. Being in nature and seeing rolling green hills around you is something I will always enjoy!
28. I love the smell of fresh air on a summer’s morning.
29. I’m not a huge drinker anymore, but I do love the odd pint of Guinness. It’s by far my favourite drink.
30. I love animals and they seem to love me back! When I was teaching English in Barcelona, whenever I went around to one of my students house for a lesson, if they had a dog or a cat, they would be all over me immediately. I felt like Dr Doolittle! I don’t know what it is, but animals always seem to show me a lot of affection. Not that I’m complaining!
31. I love cycling. The freedom I feel when I’m riding my bike is a joy to behold. Riding around on a sunny day, enjoying the views all around me is something I will never get tired of!
32. I love problem-solving. I’ve always enjoyed trying to find solutions to challenging puzzles and problems.
33. Recently, I discovered a love for philosophy. I found it after suffering from anxiety two years ago, and it has made my life much better and made me a more rounded person than I was before.
34. Pointless trivia. My mind is full of the stuff, I love finding out weird facts, or other nuggets of information. For some reason, I have the ability to store them away like squirrel does with its nuts, and use them at a later date.
35. I love change. This is weird one to list, because most people don’t like change, but I have become accustomed to it over the past few years with travelling and living in different places. I’ve always found monotony stale and boing, so changing things up every once in a while is a must.
36. I love learning. It’s something we should constantly be doing. It’s not just for a 16 year period, while we are growing up it’s for life!
37. I love being creative. I’ve always had a creative flair deep inside of me. I have an urge to create, I think this is the main reason I hated working in an office and preferred working in construction. In the office I was bound by the rules of the office and the role of my task, whereas in construction, I was tangibly building something before my eyes. I hope I never lose that creative spark inside me.
38. I love discussions. I’m not a big fan of small talk, live is too short to talk about pointless topics. Depp and insightful conversations are the ones I prefer to have.
39. I love lamp!
40. I love the memories I have made over the course of my life. I have done a lot of things I never thought I would and met a lot of amazing people along the way. For that, I am truly grateful.